While crunches are arguably the most common abdominal exercise, they may not be the most effective way to build muscle and strengthen your core. Even an entire hour of crunches won’t match the body benefits of a 10-minute plank workout.
The plank is one of the best exercises you can do for your core because it builds isometric strength to helps culpt your waistline and improve your posture. A plank may look easy but in reality is a tough job, which needs to be done properly.
10 benefits of plank exercise
1. Your Core Strength Will Improve
2. You’ll Tone Up That Tummy
3. You’ll Strengthen Your Back
4. You May Enjoy Increased Metabolism and Fat Burn
5. You’ll Increase Flexibility and Lower Your Risk of Injury
6. You’ll Enjoy Better Bone and Joint Health. It helps fight osteoporosis.
7. Your Posture and Balance Will Improve
8. Everyday Tasks Will Become Easier
9. You’ll Be Happier and Less Stressed
10. You can experience mental benefits, too. It’s a form of meditation
There is a multitude of plank variations that raise the difficulty level. But first you can begin with most popular forearm plank.
Forearm plank- Lie facedown with legs extended and elbows bent and directly under shoulders; clasp your hands. Feet should be hip-width apart, and elbows should be shoulder-width apart. Contract your abs, then tuck your toes to lift your body (forearms remain on the ground); you should be in a straight line from head to heels. The most important element of a good plank is a neutral spine. Hold for 60 seconds or as long as you can.
Need challenge plank workout plan for 30 days?